The Wildlife of Chitwan National Park



I am always fond of seeing animals. When I was younger, my family used to take me to zoos so I could learn more about them. In school I always spend some time in the library reading about a variety of animals. I even dreamt of becoming a veterinarian when I was a kid so I could work with animals though that dream did not materialized. Now that I am traveling, whenever I get the chance, I try to visit animals but this time around in their natural habitats.

I was fortunate enough that this lifestyle helped me visit a couple of of national parks in India. The first one I visited was Jaldapara Wildlife Sanctuary in West Bengal where I first saw a one horned rhino and Indian bison. The second was Keoladeo National Park where I saw tons of local and migratory birds.

Last year, I also got a chance to visit a national park in South Nepal which is Chitwan National Park.
Chitwan National Park is the first national park in Nepal and one of the most popular among local and foreign visitors alike due to a huge population of one horned rhinos. It is a protected area and also a World Heritage Site. Chitwan National Park has an area covering around 932 square kilometers.

Hunting used to be allowed in Chitwan until they finally realized a huge drop in the population of rhinos and tigers which drove them to prohibit hunting and rather protect the remaining animals.

There are so many animals that can be seen in Chitwan’s forest and grassland. It’s said that there are around 43 species of mammals in Chitwan and some of the biggest include rhinos, gaurs (Indian bison), Bengal tigers, leopards and sloth bears. The river in front of the national park is also home to an endangered species of reptile known as gharials.

I was lucky enough to see some of these magnificent animals when I was in Chitwan. Here are some of the pictures of the animals that I saw in the national park.

Aside from these beautiful creatures, I also saw a couple of sloth bears unfortunately I wasn’t able to take a picture of them because they ran so fast upon the sight of our jeep. There are also a lot of varieties of birds that I’m not familiar with. This will also be a great place for birders.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Calpurnia, Europe - Is this Country a Real Place? The Story, Facts, Location

Grand Teton National Park Information

Five Tips to Stay Productive While Working Anywhere in the World